The History of Our Church
In 1915 the town of Seal Beach was a California beach community with a reputation for being open to various questionable activities such as gambling and other vices….and then the Methodists came to town!
On Sunday, August 20, 1915 at 3:00 p.m. the First Methodist Episcopal Church at Seal Beach held their dedication worship service in a converted bungalow at 125 6th Street. In an effort to reach both residents of Seal Beach and visitors to the area, the church set up a somewhat less than traditional approach to their ministry. The Church was open every day from 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. on a “drop in anytime” basis. It sort of resembled a community center with reading rooms containing periodicals and books as well as restrooms. A staff person was in attendance to offer assistance to residents and visitors as necessary. During the evenings a series of social events were held to attract people and refreshments were served.
In 1926 an anonymous donor gave $1,000 during a prayer meeting. This money was used to purchase two lots on 10th Street & Central Avenue which is the current location of our church. The original church bungalow was moved to the new site and remodeled to include a belfry with a bell that could be heard on Sunday mornings. In 1943 the bungalow was once again remodeled to enlarge it with a towering roof and many of the features we see today in our sanctuary building. In the 1960’s a little house at the rear of the church property was torn down and our current 2-story Fellowship Hall was built.
Over the years small improvements were made to the Fellowship Hall including a new roof in 2008. In the last several years, church members voted to fund an extensive remodeling of the Fellowship Hall which included a new kitchen and updated restrooms in Phase I and an updated social hall in Phase II. Remodeling was completed in 2015 and includes a new belfry where our original bell from 1926 proudly rests.
“Celebrating Our Centennial – Continuing Our Commitment.”